7304 – Supervisors, railway transport operations
Supervisors of railway transport operations supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- Freight train road foreman/woman
- Railway transport operations supervisor
- Yard foreman/woman – railway
- Yardmaster – railway
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate is required.
- A certificate in accordance with the Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations is required.
- Several years of railway operations experience are required.