3217 – Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.
Cardiology technologists operate electrocardiogram equipment and use medical imaging technologies to record cardiac activity of patients to aid in the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of heart disease. Electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, not elsewhere classified, operate electroencephalographic, electromyographic and other electrophysiological diagnostic equipment to assist physicians in diagnosing diseases, injuries and abnormalities. Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists who are supervisors or instructors are included in this unit group. They are employed in clinics, hospitals and medical laboratories.
- Cardiac stress technologist
- Cardiology supervisor
- Cardiology technologist
- Electrocardiographic (ECG) technologist
- Electrocardiography technologist
- Electroencephalograph (EEG) technologist
- Electromyography (EMG) technologist
- Electroneurodiagnostic (END) technologist
- Electroneurophysiology (ENP) technologist
- Cardiac catheterization technologist
- Cardiovascular technician
- Cardiovascular technologist
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Operate electrocardiogram and other electronic equipment to record cardiac activity of patients
- Perform non-invasive cardiovascular procedures and tests, such as electrocardiograms, exercise tolerance tests, ambulatory monitoring and scanning of tapes, holter arrhythmia scanning, pacemaker analysis and follow-up
- Record and assess cardiac activity and provide preliminary reports of tests
Provide patients with care during procedures and tests
- Prepare reports for interpretation by cardiologists
- Reprogram pacemakers according to required standards
- Check, calibrate and perform routine maintenance of cardiology equipment to ensure proper operation
- May analyze tests and notify physician or other health care professionals of abnormalities
- May administer certain drugs under direct supervision of physician
- May document and record pacemaker implant threshold measurements under direct supervision of cardiac surgeon
- May supervise and train students, other cardiology technologists and nurses.
- Review patient’s case history and assess nature of problem to determine procedures and tests required
- Attach diagnostic equipment to patients and ensure their comfort and safety
- Operate diagnostic equipment such as electroencephalographic and evoked potential equipment to record the electrical activity of the brain and cranial and central nervous systems
- Operate electromyographic equipment to conduct electrophysiological nerve conduction velocity tests and to assist physicians in conducting electrophysiological tests such as muscle strength and repetitive stimulation
- Take notes on the recorded graph to identify interference such as poor electrode contact or patient movement
- Prepare recordings and reports of findings for physicians to aid in the diagnosis of neurological disorders
- Check, calibrate and perform routine maintenance of diagnostic equipment
- Train and supervise students, technicians or other electroencephalograph technologists.
- Cardiology technologists require completion of a two-year college diploma program in cardiology technology and supervised practical training.
- Cardiology technologists require registration with the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists in all provinces except Quebec.
- Electroencephalograph and other diagnostic technologists require completion of a two-year college or hospital-based program in electrophysiology technology and supervised practical training.
- Registration with the Canadian Board of Electroencephalograph Technologists is available for electroencephalograph technologists; it is required in Alberta and is usually required by employers in other provinces.
- Registration with the Association of Electromyography Technologists of Canada is available for electromyography technologists and is usually required by employers.
- Registration with l’Ordre des technologues en imagerie médicale, en radio-oncologie et en électrophysiologie médicale du Québec is required for cardiology technologists and electrophysiological technologists in Quebec.
- Cardiovascular perfusionists (in 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists)
- Cardiology nurse technicians (in 3012 Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses)