6211 – Retail sales supervisors
Retail sales supervisors supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Retail salespersons (6421), Cashiers (6611), Store shelf stockers, clerks and order fillers (6622) and Other sales related occupations (6623). They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public, rental service establishments and businesses involved in door-to-door soliciting and telemarketing.
- Department store supervisor
- Head cashier
- Liquor store supervisor
- Produce department supervisor
- Rental service supervisor
- Retail sales route supervisor
- Telemarketing supervisor
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and co-ordinate sales staff and cashiers
- Assign sales workers to duties and prepare work schedules
- Authorize payments and the return of merchandise
- Resolve issues that may arise, including customer requests, complaints and supply shortages
- Maintain specified inventory and order merchandise
- Prepare reports regarding sales volumes, merchandising and personnel matters
- Hire and train or arrange for the training of new sales staff and monitor and report on performance
- Ensure the visual standards and image of the store are maintained, such as store displays, signage and cleanliness
- May perform the same duties as workers supervised
- May perform key holding and managerial duties if required, such as opening and closing the store, managing escalated complaints, developing and implementing marketing strategies, and signing for deliveries.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Previous retail sales experience as a retail salesperson or sales clerk, cashier, telemarketer, door-to-door salesperson or rental agent is usually required.
- Progression to management positions in retail trade is possible with additional training or experience.