UK Visitor or Tourist visa
The United Kingdom is a very popular tourism destination and you can learn more about how to visit the UK for short periods of time here. Most tourism visas are granted for a total of six months and no longer. The UK visitor visa which is also known as the Standard Visitor Visa is a UK short stay visa that allows its holder to stay in the UK for up to 6 months. However, the embassy has the right to issue visas for a shorter period of time. This visa is established for those that wish to travel to the United Kingdom for purposes of:
- To visit family members.
- Medical treatment.
- For professional reasons.
The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the following types of visas:
- Family Visitor visa.
- General Visitor visa.
- Child Visitor visa.
- Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists.
- Sports Visitor visa.
- Entertainer Visitor visa.
- Prospective Entrepreneur visa.
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa.
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa.
Documents required for UK Visa Application:
- Original Passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into Singapore with minimum two blank pages
- All old Passports
- Online Visa Application form
- Appointment confirmation
- Recent photograph measuring 35 mm X 45 mm taken against white background. Both digital and hard copy of the photograph are required.
- Bank statement of last 6 months with sufficient balance; updated and attested
- Income Tax Returns/Form 16 for last 3 years
- Invitation letter, Passport or Resident Permit copy & address proof of Inviter (If visiting family & friends)
- Travel Itinerary explaining the trip
- Leave sanctioned certificate, Last 3 months salary slip, Company Visiting card (If employed)
- Business Registration Proof, Company updated bank statement, Company IT returns of last 3 years, visiting card. (If self-employed)
- School/College ID card (If student)
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from parent, ID proof of parents (If minor travelling without parents)
- Pension statement (If retired)
- Previous travel history. This has to cover the period of the last 10 years.
- Biometric information. If you are applying for a visa that lets you stay in UK for more than 6 months, you will need to submit your biometric information.
- Sponsorship letter, Sponsor ID proof, updated bank statement (if sponsored)
- Invitation letter from host company, Covering letter from Indian company (For Business visa)
- Your criminal history.
- If you are a student: Academic and professional certificates.
- If you are employed in your home country: Contact and information of your existing employer.
- Supporting Financial Documents such as Fixed Deposits, Share Certificates, Property Investments, any other Investments etc. (Optional)
- Kindly note Personal Appearance is mandatory at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) for the biometrics and document submission.
If you’re expecting to take private medical treatment in the UK:
- Letter confirming your medical condition. Issued by a UK doctor/consultant, naming your disease and the need for the cure in the UK. It has to also show costs, place and the period of private cure.
- Proof of having paid the complete costs of medical care.
- Letter confirming you need further care. (If you’re applying for a visa extension). Issued by a UK doctor/consultant confirming you need further treatment of the disease. It must be accompanied with documents showing you have got the money to pay costs of such treatment.
UK Visitor Visa step by step process?
Filling the Application Form – Fill your visa application form. Make sure you fill in all the details properly. Any information incorrectly mentioned can get your visa rejected.
Pay Processing fee – After filling in your form, you need to pay for the UK visa fees through valid debit or credit card. The standard UK tourist visa from India should cost you around Rs 10,929/-
Visa interview appointment – After the completion of your payment, you need to book your interview date. Ensure that your appointment is on a date you are available. In case you want to reschedule your appointment, you will be required to fill in the UK visa application all over again!
Carry all correct documents – While you go for your appointment, ensure you have printed copies of your application form, your UK visa fee receipt, and yes your passport
Additional Documents – Supporting documents always make your application for a UK visitor visa from India stronger. such as your tentative flight bookings, hotels, UK travel insurance, copies of passport, etc.
UK Visa Fees
|Fees category||Current Fee|
|Visit visa < 6 months||£93|
|Visit visa < 2 years||£350|
|Visit visa < 5 years||£636|
|Visit visa <10 years||£798|
What is UK Tourist Visa Processing Time?
A standard UK tourist visa from India should generally take up to 2 weeks to process. But, just to be on the safe side, it’s always better to apply at least 4 weeks before.